Thursday, February 10, 2011

EvE Offline

I was playing EvE Online and enjoying it somewhat - figuring out the game system - but as I was playing I realized there is a severe imbalance in the game play for new players, including the sales of in game currency by out of game purchasing using real world cash.

So I canceled my subscription.

ships in space with eve offline parody of eve online title

I know many other games choose a micro payment model and have done even better than their initial monthly charge fees by going "free" + micro payments for in game items, but I think there are many times where this is destructive to the game play. Especially when it comes to play balance against other players.

The game suffers from other issues as well, including a bad attempt at trying to copy Blizzard and other "login portal news and hey-why-don't-you-buy-this!" issues, but I did really enjoy looking at the stars and space simulation.

No comments: